As a part of both the CSLF’s and Global CCS Institute's focus on assisting CCS projects through knowledge sharing, a one-day workshop was organized to share experiences on CCS project integration and to identify priority integration topics that need further attention to facilitate CCS project development and deployment.
Approximately 50 people were in attendance, which allowed for open discussions on a range of technical topics related to CCS project integration, including heat integration, plant operability, environmental control, CO2 specifications, and scale-up challenges. Interactive discussions between Workshop participants also delved into the opportunities and challenges associated with integrating the CCS chain from a commercial and management perspective. Insights were presented on the timing of storage site characterization and issues associated with balancing transportation systems for CCS.
The open panel discussions were fed by presentations from leading projects with experience on key integration themes.
- Introduction and Scene Set (pdf 1.17 MB)
Nick Otter, Workshop Chair and member of the Global CCS Institute Technical Advisory Committee
Session 1: Project Integration – Integrating a Capture Facility into a Host Plant
- AEP Mountaineer CCS Project: Integration of a Commercial Scale CO2 Capture Facility into a Host Plant (pdf 314 KB)
Matt Usher, CCS Engineering Manager, American Electric Power
- Project Integration at Technical Centre Mongstad (pdf 2.95 MB)
Olav Falk-Pedersen, Technology Manager, European CO2 Technology Centre Mongstad (TCM) Project
Session 2: Project Integration Challenges
- Don Valley Power Project (pdf 4.83 MB)
Jonathan Briggs, Managing Director – Don Valley Power Project, 2Co Energy
- Oxycombustion Project Integration Considerations (pdf 961 KB)
Kevin J. McCauley, Director of Strategic Planning and Global Technology, Babcock & Wilcox Power Generation Group
Session 3: Integrating the CCS Chain – Adding Transport and Storage
- The Timing of Storage Site Characterisation (pdf 1.36 MB)
Tony Booer, Marketing and Technique Manager, Schlumberger Carbon Services
- New Energy Infrastructure for CCS (pdf 5.24 MB)
Guy Konings, Market Manager Business Development, Stedin
- CCS Project Integration from a Project Management Perspective (pdf 2.38 MB)
Gerbert van der Weijde, Maasvlakte CCS Project CV – ROAD